Sunday, May 1, 2016

Color: a spectrum of possibilities for your ring



I desperately want a titanium ring, and I'm really curious to get one that's anodized in some gorgeous color(s).

I just can't figure out which ring I want. There are tons of choices.

The titanium, then, can be oxidized to produce gorgeous colors. The process of creating an oxide coating on a metal via application of electrical current is called anodizing.

One of these years I'll get around to trying to do some anodizing myself, but I'm going to have to get a steady supply of titanium before I can use it as a class lab. Titanium's kinda expensive and really, really hard to cut - something that I need to consider, too.

When I do get around to it, though, I'll check back on these instruction pages.

As a warning, there isn't really any color to the oxide layer. It's caused by light wave interference. Check the science out if you really want to know.

If you were thinking of a gift for your favorite material science blogger, I'll need to measure my ring size first, but this one's the current choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment