Friday, September 30, 2016

Glass explosion at 343,000 FPS! - The Slow Mo Guys



38 degrees out in July in Texas? That doesn't seem all that hot to me.

Of course, I'm assuming that they're in Fahrenheit because I'm American. If the Slow Mo Guys are resolutely not going to use specific units, I'm going to assume whatever units I want.

This video, by the way, is brilliant.

The guys take kitchen-grade pyrex (really tempered soda lime glass not the lab-grade borosilicate glass) measuring cups and subject them to drastic thermal shock - propane torch then ice cold water. The real money shot happens at 5:38.

Then there's an outstanding comparison of the speed of glass shattering to human reaction time at 7:15. The glass shatters - spoiler alert - way faster than an eyelid can blink shut.

Then, at 8:30 we get an explanation of thermal shock and what's happening with the expansion/contraction dichotomy with the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment