Monday, June 25, 2018

Expanding Foam For Filling Post Holes



So, the reason I'm posting these is that there's apparently a new-to-me use for the expanding polymer foam that we use in our polymers labs: filling post holes.

I've always heard of using cement - or quickcrete - for setting fence (or mailbox or basketball goal) posts, but I guess expandable foam could be strong enough to work.

There are multiple options, however, not just Sika's product.



The above video - made by Secure Set - demonstrates that their product is far superior to Sika's and that Sika's product container while convenient can be explosively dangerous (2:54).



Admittedly, the Secure Set videos just might be a little biased toward their product.

Then again, so is the Rainbow Foam video. Though I like their clinical narration and reasonably consistent tests.



I do with they would name what product P and product B are. I have to assume those initials were chosen because they fit the product names that I just don't know.

Oh, and there is a bit of blood in this video as the mute demonstrator cuts himself in the video cut between 9:10 and 9:14. It's not spurting blood or anything, but I thought I'd warn you.

And I am kinda glad we get to finally see the demonstrator's face at 16:35.

Admittedly, that last video is way too long, but I appreciate that they show that the tests have to be performed on each of the products with reasonably repeatable precision.

No comments:

Post a Comment