Monday, August 27, 2018

Tyvek round-up

I've been searching for a video showing the production of Tyvek, and I haven't had any luck. I've found a bunch of videos (not those shown below) that show the manufacturing of products made of Tyvek (disposable hazmat suits, festival bracelets, a whole bunch of wallets and tents and bivies), but I haven't found anything that will show me how the original 'fabric' is made.

Along the way of my searches, though, I came upon a number of interesting Tyvek videos...

From what I can tell, DuPont (Tyvek's manufacturer) seems most concerned about distinguishing their product from SMS (spunbond-meltblown-spunbond) and MPF (microporous film).



The further data on the DuPont website isn't terrifically detailed, admittedly, but I very much like the simple method they set up to test the permeability of the different materials.



The Professor Tytonius (?) video is hoaky, but the tests are the sorts of things my students could probably reproduce in the classroom to gauge the permeability of the various underlayments.



That's just gross. However, if I were doing work like they show at the end, I think a Tyvek suit would be appreciated.



Again, a straightforward test that my students would reproduce...




I appreciate that they do end by saying that Tyvek isn't really meant for paintballing.



Simple test...I like it...



So, Tyvek isn't bulletproof? Good to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment