Monday, July 22, 2019

World's Lightest Solid!



I've written about aerogel before (and perpetually mention the demise of my one piece).

But I haven't shown a video that uses a FLIR camera (1:00) to show the heat zones as they insulate a chocolate bunny from a bunsen burner using aerogel, where they show the industrial process of making aerogel (5:25), or especially where you actually get to see a supercritical fluid through the window (6:25 - the absolute highlight for a teacher who used to teach phase diagrams in AP chemistry), or where you get to see a mid-process 'wet' aerogel filled with alcohol (4:50).

If you happen to follow both of my blogs, you might see this double posted because of that supercritical fluid bit.

Seriously, Rebecca, you'd have my heart if you bought me some new aerogel.

No comments:

Post a Comment