Monday, August 3, 2020

Artist Transforms Found Books into Sparkling Crystallized Sculptures

Source - https://www.alexisarnold.com/#/crystallized-books/

That's either a really sad ending for a great book or a great repurposing of an awful book.

Either way, that's a book that's been soaked in a borax solution and left to crystalize.

It's kind of cool looking.

I'll let Alexis Arnold describe her own creation, a part of the Crystallized Books series...
The Crystallized Book Series addresses the materiality versus the text or content of a book. The crystals remove the text and solidify the books into aesthetic, non-functional objects. The books, frozen with crystal growth, have become artifacts or geologic specimens imbued with the history of time, use, and memory. 
I kind of dig it and might make one of those myself. I can't imagine it would be too tough to make. I already know how to make a borax solution. I assume the soaking isn't too tough. And lord knows I've grown enough borax crystals by just letting the solution evaporate.

Thoughts?

Source - https://www.alexisarnold.com/#/crystallized-books/

No comments:

Post a Comment