Monday, May 16, 2022

Lambert Glass (part 1)

This is both confusing and fascinating to me.

I know there are more efficient, modern methods to make flat glass like the above video makes.

The Lambert Glass website, however, states that...

Lamberts-Glass is glass with a soul. We are the only manufacturer in Germany who still uses traditional methods to produce window glass: Mouth-blown glass is worked into flat panels in a complex procedure. We even manufacture coloured glass, so-called ‘streaky glass’ or ‘flashed glass’, by hand. Our manufacturing methods result in glass with a specific structure, making it particularly suitable for use in historic preservation or glass art.

So I guess they use traditional methods because it produces traditional glass with all the beauty and flaws that would create.

Whatever their reasons, the results are stunningly beautiful, especially in their standard and unique flashed glass panels.

I am, admittedly, thoroughly enamored with the beauty of the Lambert glass. If anybody wants to drop a few bucks, I wouldn't reject a gift of the Lambert sample box with 250 samples of their glass. I don't have any reason to own it, and I have no idea what I'd do with it other than pull the samples out and hold them up to a really sunny window from time to time. But I want it.

I'll throw a few more videos after the jump. Today we'll focus on their handblown plate glass. Tomorrow I'll come back with videos of their craftsmen making other products.






No comments:

Post a Comment