Monday, June 13, 2022

How Plates Made from Sugarcane Could Help India's Plastic Problem | World Wide Waste

On the last pre-exam school day of the 2021-22 school year, I allowed my students to ask me anything they wanted (as long as it was school appropriate). I got questions ranging from 'can I leave my exam early if I finish?' and 'how did you choose your college?' and 'what's your favorite color?

One student, however, asked me if I knew what perfluoroctanoic acid was. I asked if that was one of the PFAS's, and he said it was involved in making teflon.

I told them that I thought the two biggest challenges their generation - and their children's generations, too - would have to deal with were going to be global warming and polymers. I went on to explain some of the challenges we have with polymers: massive waste, non-biodegradability, absorption into our bodies, mimicking of hormones in our bodies, increased petroleum dependence, and on and on and on.

It wasn't the most chipper discussion I've had with my students.

Luckily, many folks are trying to do something about those problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment