Monday, December 26, 2022

The Story of Aerogels: The Power of Porosity

I apologize for the narration of The Mat Sci Guy. His voice certainly lacks those nice, pear-shaped tones that are so valuable on the radio - or maybe he just needs a better microphone or a decongestant or processing software.

But...his content is interesting and educational, well laid out and thoroughly researched, so I recommend watching the video but maybe not showing it in class.

Today's video sees him exploring the formation, properties, and applications of aerogels in their various forms. 

I'm thrilled that I know something about sol-gel chemistry from a summer of research I did at Miami University some twenty five years ago. I wasn't making aerogels, but I did spend the summer making sol-gels and exploring their applications in chromatography columns. 

I also have a little experience with aerogels...or at least I did until my favorite coworker shattered my large sample. Now I have multiple, smaller samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment