Monday, February 6, 2023

Why It’s So Hard To Recycle Styrofoam and Polystyrene | World Wide Waste

My wife just passed along that there's a facility near my school that has begun to accept post-consumer Styrofoam for recycling. Apparently they just got a densification machine that allows them to accept Styrofoam and compress it to 1/60th of its original volume so that the polystyrene can then be used to make something new - as they say in their facebook post - like 'insulation, park benches, and more'.

That makes me happy because I'm trying to be good with my plastic waste, and it's really hard to find a styrofoam recycling facility.

Today's video shows that densification process, using heat and pressure to turn the expanded polystyrene into what look like nurdles to me. Those nurdles can then be turned into just about anything that polystyrene can be used for - primarily picture frames in today's video.

Please reduce your plastic use.

If you can't do that, please reuse the plastic.

If you absolutely can't do that, please recycle - not wishcycle - it.

No comments:

Post a Comment