Friday, August 2, 2013

Water and Solutions -- for Dirty Laundry: Crash Course Chemistry #7



Thank you, John Green.

This thirteen-and-a-half-minute-long video covers enough chemistry about water that if my students understood the entire video by the end of my year of chemistry, I would be pretty happy.

Because it's that saturated with knowledge, I don't know that I'd necessarily show it in one sitting in the classroom. It's dense, man, but it does a spectacular job explaining (and showing via animation) a whole lot of ideas about the chemistry of water. I'll list some of them...
  • oxidizing (like bleach and hydrogen peroxide do)
  • solutions (aqueous ones)
    • solute
    • solvent
  • polar molecules
    • polar and nonpolar molecules dissolving each other
  • water dissolving ionic compounds
  • electrolytes
    • strong, weak, and non-
  • moles
  • concentration
    • molarity
    • molality 
    • diluting

No comments:

Post a Comment