Friday, January 10, 2014

Hexagonal Pewter Stool

Why's it gotta be hexagonal? You never see anybody casting a nonagonal stool anymore. Why did we lose the art of nonagonal casting? Heck, I'd settle for dodecagonal casting for a change. Sheesh...

I've done sand casting once at Ohio State University in ASM's year-two camp and a few times using moon sand as a medium in the classroom, but I would've never thought of heading out to the beach to make my mold and cast directly into the playa. There are probably two main reasons for this: one, the closest big body of water to my house is the Ohio River, not exactly know for its fine, sandy beaches; and two, I'm not an artist.

This time-lapse video of sand casting is pretty impressive, though, with the artist (assumedly Max Lamb) maxing a stool that I'd be happy to have in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment