Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Shear Pins are Smart (They're Mechanical Fuses)



I'm not a car guy.

I'm even less of a tractor guy.

I pay to get my oil changed, and I'm happy to do it.

So, when it came up in our summer camp discussions that quenched metal would be useful for shear pins, I wasn't really comfortable with doing more than just nodding and smiling. "Yeah, shear pins...exactly."

Then I had to go look up what shear pins are.

Now, here's my understanding. Shear pins are hardened steel, typically quenched steel. Sometimes a rotational part of the machine - the lawnmower blade, the snow-blower - gets blocked and stopped. There's a driveshaft feeding rotational energy to that blade, however. Something in the chain  then has to break because the motor is continuing to try adding more rotational energy to the now-stuck blade.

If all the parts were equally tough, the break would take place randomly.

Instead, the engineers intentionally put in a weak spot, a quenched piece of metal called a shear pin. The intent is for that piece to be where the break happens because it's the cheapest part of the chain. It's better to break the cheap part than to maybe break one of the expensive parts.

Man, it's almost like people are smart.

I'm happy to say that I'm getting smarter every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment