Monday, April 26, 2021

Graphene science | Mikael Fogelström | TEDxGöteborg



I am becoming more and more curious as to whether the TEDx events in countries other than America are all conducted in English.

If so, that's both awesome for us English-only speakers and kind of dismissive of those non-American countries. I'm just saying. (I'm also incredibly impressed by multi-lingual people.)

"Graphene is the material of superlatives."

That's a fine description of graphene - and also a not useful description. It's the most stable, strongest, best electrical and thermal conductor, transparentest, impermeable material around. That's interesting, but until I start to see graphene actually being used to make something I use better, I'm holding back on my excitement for what graphene actually can do for us. 

It's theoretically neat and experimentally cool, but it's only theoretically useful for now.

Yes, there might one day be transparent electronics, remarkably strong but lightweight composites for airplanes, better batteries and capacitors for electric vehicles, instantaneous DNA sequencing (as the video shows at 7:30)...maybe...

(I do warn you that this video is a little less exciting as far as TED presentations go. The ideas are amazing and theoretically world-changing, but the speaker is - in his at least second language - less dynamic than he could be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment