Monday, November 8, 2021

What is epoxy coated rebar and why is it being banned?

I feel bad for this youtuber having to broadcast to us from some sort of white void with bad lighting or white balance without understanding how low quality his image is compared to the quality of the images that he's sharing 'behind' him. And I don't know why he won't make eye contact with me. He keeps looking at something above and in front of me that I can't see.

Sorry for the snarkiness. 

I've been watching a lot of very professionally made YouTube videos recently, and it's easy to see how much better those look than this more amateurishly produced videos, but I will admit that this guy gives a great explanation of why epoxy coated rebar is used (corrosion prevention), the problems with it (the epoxy rubs off unless the rebar is handled very gently before sealing it in concrete leading to pitting corrosion and debonding), and pros and cons of possible solutions (high costs due to scale production and lack of building code acceptance).

It's easy to think that simple solutions (just paint the rebar) won't lead to secondary problems (the paint rubbing off).

(Oh, and respect to BadLandsKid who had the top comment on this video when I accessed it most recently, "Very galvanizing topic. While it’s not set in stone, it reinforced my views on rebar.")

No comments:

Post a Comment