Monday, January 17, 2022

Life Cycle Assessment

I've frequently mentioned the ASM Materials Camps for teachers (returning in-person for summer 2022, hopefully near you). In pre-pandemic times I taught a few of them in person each summer. Over the past couple of years I've taught a couple of them virtually each summer.

But not only am I a camp leader, I'm also a camp taker. I took the first and second year camps a decade or so ago, and I've taken a couple of their specialty camps in the summer since. I took a corrosion camp at the University of Akron and - last summer - a camp on sustainable materials online.

One of the major focuses of the sustainability camp was the concept of a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). This process looks at a product's impact on the environment from source (mining, drilling, growing, whatever) to disposal (reuse, recycling, or simply landfilling). The process can become incredibly detailed - to a level well beyond the day or two we spent discussing the LCA in our camp - but can also be done at an introductory level for middle or high school materials students. 

If you want to take a look at some very in-depth LCAs, here are some links to documents comparing various grocery bags (the cliched 'paper or plastic?' debate).

And I'll post some more LCA basic videos after the jump.




No comments:

Post a Comment