Tuesday, December 30, 2014

It cost 1.7 cents to make a penny this year, and 8 cents to make a nickel


During every mention of new versus old pennies, the cost of coin production comes up. Invariably, I say something vague about the cos of production of a penny having risen over the years until the production cost out-stripped the value of a penny - meaning that the government was losing money on every penny it produced.

I've never actually done the research on those details, however. I just keep telling students that they can look it up. I don't think any of my students ever took me up on that offer, though, because none of them came back with evidence asking for extra credit - as I'm sure they would.

Thankfully The Washington Post recently published an article on our government continuing to lose money every time it mints a penny - or a nickel, even.

I did not know that the production cost of a nickel was higher than the five cents for which the government can then 'sell' the nickel.

Just in case The Post chooses to put the article behind a paywall or into an archive at some point, I've grabbed it into Word then published it via Scribd.




No comments:

Post a Comment