Monday, July 14, 2014

Gold doesn't dissolve in acid...then it does...then it comes back...



The most potentially expensive demonstration that I've ever done was to take my gold wedding ring (not pure gold, 14K, I think) and placing it in concentrated hydrochloric acid. The activity series says that nothing should have happened, and - thankfully because I certainly hadn't cleared the demo with my wife first - nothing did. That's because I used only hydrochloric acid.

Using hydrochloric acid and nitric acid, though. Agua regia (royal water) will dissolve gold, producing - as the video above shows - chloroauric acid.

To see that gold really is non-reactive in each of the acids (and in molten NaOH, even) alone, check out the video after the jump.

I've also added a video showing how the gold can be recovered from the chloroauric acid.





...now, let's see how to get the gold back out of the acid...

No comments:

Post a Comment