Monday, July 21, 2014

Rich Earth and ASM Historical Landmarks

I check a number of blogs with some regularity, and most never get a mention here because they tend to head far more toward the realm of internet curios than they do toward the world of material science.

Occasionally, however, serendipity helps me out, and one of those blogs provides something for me to post here. Today was one of those serendipitous days as the Futility Closet blog has a short post on the historical origins of ytterbium, yttrium, terbium, erbium, holmium, gadolinium, and thulium, all discovered from the same mine near Ytterby, Sweden.

That's cute and all, but what really caught my eye was the included image (sourced from Wikimedia Commons) of the ASM Historical Landmark plaque - assumedly from somewhere near the mine.


I had no idea that ASM had a serious of historical landmarks, but now that I do, I think I may have a few field trips in my future as five of them are within less than an hour's drive of my home near Cincinnati, OH.

No comments:

Post a Comment