Monday, May 2, 2022

The Genius of 3D Printed Rockets

There's a part of me that looks at this video's tour guide like he's from the Parks and Rec Grizzyl offices. I know he's probably brilliant - his wikipedia article certainly suggests so - but it's like Dr Derek is getting a tour around a rocket factory from a teenager. 

This is another video where I spent much of the time with my mouth agape once I realized how revolutionary this method of production could be if they get all the hiccups worked out. The process seems like an extreme of the 'build it fast and wrong, then build it again and better' style of prototyping and manufacturing.

If you have the time, compare this video in which rockets bodies and engine parts are 3d printed from aluminum and alloys to the old-school rocket manufacturing tour from Smarter Every Day. I don't know which is better, but they show radically different approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment